Friday, August 21, 2009

Guess What I Heard? - Mo'Nique

Friday, August 21, 2009

Recently, comedienne and actress Mo'Nique was quoted in Life & Style magazine about sex and her 40 lb weight loss. Here's what she had to say:

"The sex is better! I have so much more energy. I can move around better, and that's what it's all about. I want to lose more, so I'll just keep eating better and exercising, and the weight will come off. It took time to put in on, and it will take time to take if off. It's still okay to be big, but let's be big and healthy. I had to lose some weight to get healthier because I want to be around for a while. I have twin sons who are 3 and a son who is 19, and I want the opportunity to meet their children."


Normally, I would dismiss this comment. Why? Because frankly, who cares? But due to the recent undeserved backlash she's been handed due to blogs and talk shows (I see you Wendy Williams), I must give my two cents.

Now before I start, I have to say that I am really a SOMETIMES Mo'Nique fan. I don't necessarily agree with everything thing she says and does, but I have to show her love because she did a great job bringing light to some of the issues that many black plus-size women face. She helped show the world that not everyone who is overweight falls prey to uber-depressed image society frames us with. I'm not on her side just because she is a fellow fluffy gal, I just give respect to that fact.

A lot of people are taking it upon themselves to "call her out" saying that she really despised being fat and that she wanted to be skinny all along for losing weight and giving props to "skinny sex". But why? She made a choice to live a healthier lifestyle and now she's simply speaking out about the perks!

I feel like if Mo'Nique wanted to be "skinny" that bad, she could've simply gotten her choice of lipo, gastric bypass, lap band (the best), diet cookies, or whatever else they have now to help you shed 200 lbs overnight, years ago. At any moment she could've checked into the clinic and voila! A skinny Mo'Nique is born! (Now you ain't heard this from me, but in SOME circles they are attributing Mo'Nique's recent weight loss to gastric bypass, but shhhhhhh! Keep it on the low)

Also, her statement biggin up "skinny" sex is being dogged out because people feel like she's backtracking on her previous big girl sayings. First, I'm confused as to where "skinny" is coming from. I don't read Life & Style, but in the quote that was released, Mo didn't say SKINNY. Second, what she's saying is true. Speaking from my own personal experience in my smaller days (though they were few), ALL physical activity was easier. I thought that was common sense. The bigger you are, the harder participating in physical activities will become.

I don't know. Maybe people just don't like Mo. Maybe because she challenges society's views about size, it makes some folks uncomfortable. Maybe they wanted her to stay big, because now they have no reason to hate her. Maybe, I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about!

You tell me.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket